RetailBX.sg - Singapore Retail Business Exchange

Go Back   RetailBX.sg > Online Retail > General Online Selling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

This is a thread in the General Online Selling forums.
Hi I am a homemaker and is new to pushcart business and online webstore. I am not IT savvy but ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CCK
Posts: 12
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
nightstar is on a distinguished road
Default Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Hi

I am a homemaker and is new to pushcart business and online webstore. I am not IT savvy but still can start a very very simple blog. I need opinions from you whether which one should I go for as a start. I do not have capital to start but $300/mth pushcart rental maybe able to go by. Which one is more demanding? I do not wish to stress up myself.


nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jurong
Posts: 42
My Reputation: Points: 20/ Rep Power: 0
Bambie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Hi Hi nightstar,

Both modes have got their own different challenges. No doubt a blogstore etc is of higher cost, you will need to spend alot of effort in marketing to get traffic to your website, increasing your visibility and transforming the visitors into buying customers.

For pushcarts, not too sure if you would even be able to find pushcarts that cost only $300 per month. The cheapest that I have ever come across is at $15 per day which works out to be about $450 per month, and that is at the CCs, where human traffic might not be so ideal...

For me, I would prefer to spend my efforts on online store before going into pushcarts, so that I can
1) build customer base
2) build capital
as the cost of pushcarts in good traffic areas really does not come cheap for the moment and I might not have sufficient stock around that can allow me to sell so many pieces to cover my rental and make a profit at the moment.

Just my 2 cents worth...But ultimately, it really depends on you.


Bambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CCK
Posts: 12
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
nightstar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambie View Post
Hi Hi nightstar,

Both modes have got their own different challenges. No doubt a blogstore etc is of higher cost, you will need to spend alot of effort in marketing to get traffic to your website, increasing your visibility and transforming the visitors into buying customers.

For pushcarts, not too sure if you would even be able to find pushcarts that cost only $300 per month. The cheapest that I have ever come across is at $15 per day which works out to be about $450 per month, and that is at the CCs, where human traffic might not be so ideal...

For me, I would prefer to spend my efforts on online store before going into pushcarts, so that I can
1) build customer base
2) build capital
as the cost of pushcarts in good traffic areas really does not come cheap for the moment and I might not have sufficient stock around that can allow me to sell so many pieces to cover my rental and make a profit at the moment.

Just my 2 cents worth...But ultimately, it really depends on you.
Hi Bambie, thanks for your input.

I have think of online store which I know is an 'in' thing now. The problem is that my items may be of low value. Example, I send a small home deodorant pack which outside retail price is $8, my cost of goods is $5.50, but my delivery cost (say, I use Singpost) is already $3. In this case, I don't even earn a single cent. I can't mark up high to cover my shipping cost as there may be a pricing policy that I need to comply with my supplier. So, though one good point of online store is I need not pay monthly rental but a big part of the expenses lies in the shipping cost which eats up my profits. Is there a way to manage this?


nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jurong
Posts: 42
My Reputation: Points: 20/ Rep Power: 0
Bambie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Hi Hi Nightstar,

Hehe, guess not that online selling is the "in-thing" right now, just that it is another mode of selling which alot of students etc have embarked on, selling on blogstore etc, so that they can earn some part-time income while still able to focus on their studies etc.

If you realise, alot of online stores are charging shipping/ delivery cost to the customer, i.e. customers will have to bear the cost of delivery! Not that this is particular attractive to customers, but there are alot of things that we can explore in terms of shipping/ postage.

For eg, you can offer free shipping only when a customer reach a certain amt of order (eg. $50 and above), then you send it out to them? Sending things in bulk will give you a lower postage/ shipping charge, and if you do your sums correctly, you should be able to absorb the postage charge if a customer buy in bulk from you.

However, was thinking if the product that you are selling is something that is very accessible to the customers, i.e. they are able to buy it off the shelf easily from any store, then the issue would be, is there anything to attract customers to buy from you in this case.

Unless you have some very different products that is not so common elsewhere, and they come to your website to buy those products, and then since they already buying something from you, might as well get the deodorant from you at the same time, then it will be a different story, i.e., the deodorant would not be the main product that you are selling, but only as a complementary product on your store...


Bambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CCK
Posts: 12
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
nightstar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambie View Post
Hi Hi Nightstar,

Hehe, guess not that online selling is the "in-thing" right now, just that it is another mode of selling which alot of students etc have embarked on, selling on blogstore etc, so that they can earn some part-time income while still able to focus on their studies etc.

If you realise, alot of online stores are charging shipping/ delivery cost to the customer, i.e. customers will have to bear the cost of delivery! Not that this is particular attractive to customers, but there are alot of things that we can explore in terms of shipping/ postage.

For eg, you can offer free shipping only when a customer reach a certain amt of order (eg. $50 and above), then you send it out to them? Sending things in bulk will give you a lower postage/ shipping charge, and if you do your sums correctly, you should be able to absorb the postage charge if a customer buy in bulk from you.

However, was thinking if the product that you are selling is something that is very accessible to the customers, i.e. they are able to buy it off the shelf easily from any store, then the issue would be, is there anything to attract customers to buy from you in this case.

Unless you have some very different products that is not so common elsewhere, and they come to your website to buy those products, and then since they already buying something from you, might as well get the deodorant from you at the same time, then it will be a different story, i.e., the deodorant would not be the main product that you are selling, but only as a complementary product on your store...
Hi Bambie, thanks very much for your advice. I will certainly take this into consideration if I open my online store one day. My idea is to go for pushcart first to create some immediate awareness of my products to my neighbourhood. When I can generate enough sales to make some profits, I may expand the business to online store as well. I know it is difficult to do pushcart business as I heard many people said so, and I hope my idea is workable. What do you all think?


nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bedok
Posts: 6
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
chuankai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

In my opinion, I will take my business online first (2-3 months) before taking it outside. Setting up a online store is not that costly and fairly simple. Using that as a stepping stone, you can judge the receptivity of your items. If the response is good, you then can consider expanding to pushcarts.

By sharing your site through forums, search engines and etc, you can generate a fair bit of traffic on your site. All these at a very little cost and at the comfort of your own home.


chuankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
xoxoxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East
Posts: 186
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 13
xoxoxo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Hi, if you do not want to stress yourself too much, then go for online. Pushcart requires your physical presence if you do not hire sales assistant. For online, if you are not IT savvy, try ebay's estore for a start. For pricing, be realistic. If you are out to do business, then you have to do your sums. If you have to factor in shipping, do so. If after factoring in shipping, you feel that the retail price is too high, then perhaps you need to reconsider if your base cost is too high and if there's any way to reduce them. Good luck


xoxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sg
Posts: 46
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
otterised is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

hihi, i think you can try flea-ing instead of pushcarts~ there's alot of flea mkts organised by CCs. Pushcarts are not necessarily helpful cos like Bambi has said, the costs are too high~ I'm not familiar with your prodts, but I probably wun buy a deodorant pack online when I can readily get it off the shelf in my nearby supermkt~ UNLESS your deodorant pack is not avail in sg~ good luck!


otterised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: singapore
Posts: 16
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
htzmarket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

not all CC turnout will be good ;-) so don't get discouraged ;-)


htzmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Woodlands
Posts: 15
My Reputation: Points: 10/ Rep Power: 0
justgift is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pushcart or Webstore? Which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstar View Post
Hi Bambie, thanks for your input.

I have think of online store which I know is an 'in' thing now. The problem is that my items may be of low value. Example, I send a small home deodorant pack which outside retail price is $8, my cost of goods is $5.50, but my delivery cost (say, I use Singpost) is already $3. In this case, I don't even earn a single cent. I can't mark up high to cover my shipping cost as there may be a pricing policy that I need to comply with my supplier. So, though one good point of online store is I need not pay monthly rental but a big part of the expenses lies in the shipping cost which eats up my profits. Is there a way to manage this?
may you can do meet up instead of postage, you can meet up at selected mrt station and so thus saving $$ also


justgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pushcart to Webstore? Wolverine General Online Selling 7 28-03-2008 05:44 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Copyright 2007-2015 Business In Vogue Pte Ltd. Regn. No. 200900022W . All rights reserved.